The Chartered institute of Government Finance, Auditing and Risk Officers (CIGFARO) formerly known as IMFO is the recognised professional body for Finance, Audit, Risk Management, Performance Management and related professionals in the Public Sector.
The Institute was founded in 1929, and is dedicated to establishing and maintaining high standards of professionalism among practitioners by providing a framework for them to collectively enhance, maintain sustainable financial management and good governance in the management of public finances.
CIGFARO is the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) recognized professional body for financial management in the Public Sector.
Our Services and Functions:
1. Further the interests of the Public Sector in the financial and related professions by:
2. To promote the interests of finance and related professionals in the Public Sector and to protect the interests of the public through strict enforcement of the Code of Conduct by embracing the following objectives:
3. To consider, where necessary research and comment on, existing and proposed pieces of legislation affecting the Public Sector in the Republic;
4. To co-operate with any other professional body that is aimed at improving and enhancing public finance and governance both in the Republic and internationally;
5. To advise the National and Provincial Government, related institutions and other recognised national associations on matters affecting the Public Sector;
6. To provide opportunities and platforms for an exchange of views, knowledge and best practices amongst members; and
7. To undertake research into Public Sector finance and governance in order to promote efficiency and enhance the available core body of knowledge.